golfv5.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DNA Tuning Remaps

4 posters

Go down

DNA Tuning Remaps Empty DNA Tuning Remaps

Post by R444SPY Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Can't recommend DNA Tuning enough.
Had my AGZ remapped by them 2 years ago and car is totally transformed, especially with further mods I have since done.
No more 3-4,000 flat spot and acceleration is smoother. Throttle response is improved and general driveability is amazing.

http://www.dnatuning.com/
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

DNA Tuning Remaps Empty 10v remapping

Post by Dobbs Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Interesting to hear about the remapping.

I've 'only' got a 10v unit (can someone reminded me which engine code is which - 10v/20v) so would I see much benefit with a remap? If so what's involved, how much roughly would I gain, what would it cost and would this 'affect' my insurance?

Thanks,

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

DNA Tuning Remaps Empty Re: DNA Tuning Remaps

Post by R444SPY Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi Dobbs,

Get the remap done mate, you have the same engine as me. It is totally worth it. Don't get me wrong we are not talking huge amounts of increased bhp or torque but enough to make a difference to it's driveability. You will notice better throttle response and better low end torque. There is a flat spot between 3-4,000 revs as the intake manifold switches (yes you have two intake manifolds in the design.
With a performance air filter and exhaust fitted first and then the remap you will hear your engine roar like it should. Ever seen Lion King when Simba finds his roar? Smile
If you drive your car there then expect an hour wait or you can post your ECU to them and receive back in a few days. The power gains are on their websites, just need to look up your car. Of course you should notify your insurance but it isn't going to change much if any, but best to tell them up front.

In regards to engine codes they are as follows;

10v - AGZ (150bhp - this is also what I have)
20v - AQN (170bhp)
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Interesting and thanks for the info - what would the approx cost be?  Smile 

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:28 pm

I paid around £180. If you mention you are a member of the V5 forum when you ring them. If you go direct on website you will get charged full price which I think is £299 at the moment.
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:41 pm

That does sound good - once I get the timing chains sorted I'll certainly give the remapping a go.

Thanks again,

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Are your chains rattling then? Mines done 147,000. Is it an obvious noise?
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 am

Yep, the chains are indeed rattling - the local VW dealership has confirmed this...

The 'dilema' is to either get a local garage to replace the chains, tensioners etc. or to take a bit of a gamble on a 2nd hand engine.

My concern with a 2nd hand engine is that I don't know what it'll be like and the cost will be approaching that of doing the timing chains. Given that the current V5 engine feels good, I'm inclined to stick with it and get the chains done (better the devil you know...)

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 am

Coming back to remapping, what are the chances that an insurance company would actually check to see if an ECU had been remapped?

I'm thinking that if the car looks standard then they would have no reason to check, unless that's part of the procedure for checking an insurance claim these days...

Comments??

Cheers,

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am

I have remapped 6 cars and announced all mods including map to insurers. I'm 41 though so could put any engine in and my insurance would be under £400. I wouldnt take the chance personally in case their payout processes are more thorough. Its all paperwork nowadays so I wouldnt be suprised if they did check.
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof X Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Dobbs, my timing chain is rattling. How much did you get quoted?

Debating if to try and do it myself........ Rolling Eyes

Prof X

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi, from memory, parts cost around £300 and labour around £450, totalling £750...

My mechanic took the option of taking the engine out in order to get better access to the chains. VW say that it can be done with the engine still in the car so I guess it's your choice.

Expensive, yes, but my local VW dealer quoted £1800 to do the work - same cost for the parts then the rest was for 18 hours of their labour...

Hope this helps,

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof X Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah, i've heard the gearbox need to be removed to get to it!

Hmm choices.

Thanks.

Prof X

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm

My V5 is the 150bhp one, i.e. 10-valve - if you've got the 170 BHP then you've got 20-valves and will need an extra chain & probably some other tensioner bits...

I gather that VW changed the design of the tensioners to give better reliability...

The other option to consider is to get a 2nd hand engine and do a swap. There are a number of sellers on EBay who could provide a short engine (minus the gearbox, alternator, belts etc.) for around £300. It's worth thinking about...

I choose to have the chains replaced as the current engine runs without any probs and drives well. I also had the clutch replaced while the mechanic had the gearbox off - about £130 for the clutch kit - worth budgeting for if you're having the gearbox off anyway...

Hope this helps in some small way,

Dobbs.

PS - I purchased a maintenance set of CDs from EBay called ElsaWin - a bit of a pain to install but it does give you the full VW workshop info on your PC/laptop, including all the steps to replace the chains with the engine in the car - worth investing in IMHO.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof X Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Excellent, will check it out.

Thanks.

Prof X

Back to top Go down

Post by damo_v5 Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi mate, I am looking at a map but i have standard backbox and filter atm which will be changed this year some point. I was looking at DNA tuning earlier today at work and seen that they give +15bhp for my 170 and +20NM Torque. will the change be dramatic, basically I use my car to do a 30 mile round trip to work and get around 32mpg on a good day if I dont thrash it, which I rarely do. will it be benefit my style of driving?

Aldo what kind of things can I do performance wise, I am going to do the r32 CAI probs nexdt month too, need to get brakes first and pads and service and wishbones replaced lol

Cars..... pain the bloody arse haha

damo_v5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down