golfv5.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Empty inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:13 pm

here's a write up of what i've done to the car so far, with some pointless rubbish left out. i bought the car at the start of 2010 so it'll take a few posts to get up to date.

Last edited by inzor on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

inzor

Back to top Go down

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Empty Re: inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 pm

the V5 was bought at the end of january 2010, came as follows:

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Image0145

lowered 30mm
mapped
powerflow exhaust
pipercross pannel filter
audi rs4 reps.

soon after iit looked like this:

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging P1010550

a pothole took out one of the RS4s so sold them and got some team dynamics wheels brand new with toyo proxes on them. almost 2kg lighter per corner, ride was better and grip was amazing. so i was happy but dont think it looks as good.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Image0147

soon after came the whiteline adjustable rear ARB. transformed the handling to say the least! then after a new sump i got an alloy sump guard. only sits 15mm lower than the sump but scrapes on everything, so the sump must of got some close calls before it went.

spaced the wheels out soon after that.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging DSCF1637

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging DSCF1634

then the fun started

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0033

a head was bought then sent away next day for porting and polishing.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0035

sat around for ages holding paper down and looking good till i decided to fit it myself, no garage wanted the job!

inzor

Back to top Go down

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Empty Re: inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:32 pm

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0308
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0329
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0330
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0334
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0368

after the exhaust was on it sounded normal again, no fault codes comming up or anything so must of got the timing pretty good.
took it for a drive.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Me-gusta-meme

nothing much since then ( a month ago). still havent had it dyno'd, place in aberdeen wants £90 for 2 runs, only 3x more than places in england/south scotland.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

i have just bought a stage 2 supercharger kit for the golf. i got the kit from carlicious-parts and it took just 2 days to arrive after it was built and packed. they have been very good at answering all my questions and are happy to help me with any further questions i might have during fitting.

anyway, here's some pics of the kit.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0445
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0446
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0447
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0450-1
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0449-1
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0448-1
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0444
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0452-1

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:40 pm

had to move the washer bottle to make room for the charger.
started off with this off ebay.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0401-1
removed the old one from the bay, just 2 plastic nuts to take off, the washer tubing and the plugs for the low level sensor and the pump.
then plugged the front washer tube into the new bag, and cut off the plug from the original wiring. twisted the wires together and left it like this for a couple of days.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0407
then i drilled 2 holes in the chasis behind the wing and bolted the bracket to it. no pics of this as i really struggled to do it. would be better removing the wing. got it wrestled into the hole and hung on the bracket then tidied up the wiring a bit.
un-twisted the bodge wire joining and fitted a tiyama connector and plugged them together. then wrapped it all up with 10mm cable tidy.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0459-1
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0460-2
then i forgot to take anymore pics.
the washer bag was out of reach to fill, so i bought 500mm of 16x23mm (IDxOD) rad piping and it pushed into the top of the bag perfectly. now all you can see is the end of the rad pipe next to the headlight. looks alright.

the injectors do need some cutting/grinding to fit, so away to do that now.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 pm

grinded down 3 of the injectors.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0478
tried one in the spare head ive got lying about. pops in perfect.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0481

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:42 pm

engine mount is finally done, new taps cut the threads like butter.

out with the old

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0541-1

engine side mount grinded down for clearance and new holes tapped

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0538

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0537

new mount in, so much smaller.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0540-1

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0539

coolant bottle is next, should be a case of drain some coolant out, take off the bottle, pull the hoses to the other side of the bay and plumb it back in where the air filter should be. might just need an extra bit of hose.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:45 pm

coolant bottle moved and an old cone filter attached for now. pics are uploading.

it was a pretty easy job, some of the coolant pipes where pretty tight, especially the ones connecting to the metal pipe behind the engine and most of the clamps were facing downward so was hard to get the mole grips on, got there in the end.

started by unscrewing the coolant bottle and sucking the coolant out of it with one of those pumps. then put some cloth below the bottle and pulled the pipes off it. washed the bottle a bit and set it aside to dry.

then i followed the large coolant pipe till it reached a T-junction and removed it there. then loosened the junction and turned it to face the air filter.

removed the engine cover and pulled the 8mm pipe through its orange looking loop holding it to the manifold and removed it where it met another pipe. replaced with a new pipe that was straight to make things look neat.

throw away the air filter box and dsg intake pipe to make room for the cone and coolant bottle.

slide the 8mm and 12mm pipes onto the coolant bottle and cable tie it in place. fit the cone filter and cable tie it so it doesnt bounce about and rub on things.

back at the other side of the bay i cable tied a few things to make more room.

done. no pics during the work but ive got a few after:

rooom!

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0564

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0565

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0567

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0568

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0569

spares:

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0570

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 pm

just drilling the holes in the bracket for the charger now. tensioner is on, fuel rail bent to make room and engine mount adjusted and ground down to make room too.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0726
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0723
holes marked
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0722
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0721
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0717
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0714
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0716

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Charger on. Fuel rail still hitting the pulley but the metal pipes are bent back. A couple of zip ties sorted this out.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0728
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0727
Finished. It was dark so just quickly pushed on vacuum pipes anywere to get it working.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0735
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0733
Then today I tidied it up a little.
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0752
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0751
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0750
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0749
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0748
inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging IMAG0746

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 pm

battery box finished.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging DSC_0201_zpsftewgptf

the corners flip up to reveal the quick release terminals. the slots the cable comes out of the box could do with deepening as they cause the cable to sit at an angle down to the terminals.

toying with the idea of puting 90 degree plastic edging on the corners of the box to cover up the joints in the carpet but it looks neat enough for now.

next job will be to shorten the battery cables a bit and try and have them bent in a way that looks a bit neater.

got a couple of coats on the 4mo splitter but no pics taken.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by welshv5er Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Battery box looking good  Very Happy 
welshv5er
welshv5er

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:39 pm

Nice work Inzor, is battery relocation necessary for the Stage 2 install? Is it so that you can fit a welly cooler in it's normal place?
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:10 pm

thanks guys.

i've seen a pic of the cooler fitted on top of the battery but im not sure how it was done, maybe remove the tray and sit the battery down on the chassis?

moving to the boot helps the weight distribution a bit. its a bit nose heavy with the charger, extra rad, cooler and extra water up front.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Do you know Inzor this is the first time until you just mentioned it that I have thought about weight distribution, lol. Now you mention it, a turbo or supercharger and it's cooling and rad actually weighing something makes sense. Just wondering what I could benefit by shifting some of the weight around on my car. I get torque steer in 1st and 2nd even without a charger, do you reckon that is down to the front being a bit heavy? thanks
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:16 pm

the torque steer is probably down to un-even lengthed drive shafts or one wheel having more grip than the other. limited slip diff will make a massive difference...costly though.

thats why i havent got one yet. plan to get one as soon as the garage get back to me with an estimate. its been a few weeks since i heard from them though...

battery and the washer fluid tank can go in the boot. there's a guy over on uk-mkivs thats planning to fit the charger at some point and is doing all the bay prep just now, he's got his washer fluid in the boot. he's got a bora though so different boot shape.

the front end being heavy will give understeer in the lower speed corners and the back stepping out a bit in fast corners if there's no weight on the rear wheels. i got the back end out at knockhill when i had the back seats and spare stripped out. i quite liked it  Very Happy

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 pm

couple of recent pics of the bay. since then i've replaced the coolant bottle and fitted a bracket to hold it in place. next step is to make the bottle reach the bracket and bolt it on.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging DSC_0024_zps739e5650

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging DSC_0019_zpsa30b2f78

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:21 pm

not sure how to post videos properly. here's a couple of exhaust videos. it was the first time i've heard the car from outside while it was going full throttle.

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Th_GOPR0220_zpse314230a

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging Th_GOPR0219_zpsdc076e9a

click the pictures to open the video. turn up the volume.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:59 pm

Sounds very nice mate and the pick up is pretty rapid, quite impressive. Looks like you got some nice open roads up there too to put down the metal. Have you had it dyno'd yet and what sort of performance figures are you seeing?
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:12 pm

thanks, no dyno yet, still waiting to get it custom mapped and some other stuff done.

hope to get it done soon but things are moving quite slowly just now.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by welshv5er Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Does go well  Very Happy 
welshv5er
welshv5er

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:10 pm

thanks.

hope to get the 4mo splitter finished this week, its got a couple of coats on it to show up the areas that need sanding/more filler primer.

thats tomorrows job.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by R444SPY Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 am

is that the 4mo rear valance you are referring to?
R444SPY
R444SPY

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:23 pm

its the front one. away to start sanding now.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by inzor Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:07 pm

inzors charged V5. stripped for re-build and forging DSC_0210_zps2d04ttpn

making progress, need some more high build filler primer though.

inzor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next