golfv5.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor??

3 posters

Go down

Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor?? Empty Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor??

Post by Pleomax Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Ok had an EML come on and checked it it came up as P0116 which points to this sensor, they are cheap enough so was going to replace it.

The problem i have is I cant find it!

This is a V5 170bhp can anyone give me an idiots guide to finding it please? Or if your in the bedford area you could earn yourself some beer tokens by doing it for me Wink

Cheers

Pleomax

Pleomax

Back to top Go down

Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor?? Empty Re: Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor??

Post by Dobbs Mon May 11, 2015 1:31 pm

Probably a bit late, but the coolant temperature sensor is located at the bottom left corner of the radiator - jack the car up and remove the plastic shield from under the engine (4x T20 screws) and you should be able to see it and hopefully remove and replace it.

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor?? Empty Re: Location of Coolant Temperature Sensor??

Post by djc Fri May 29, 2015 6:51 am

Hi Dobbs,
That's the most concise description I've come across. I've been reading other's post on other forums about the location and it didn't seem to match what I saw in my engine!
I would be grateful if either of you have any photographs of the location or of changing the sensor. I've ordered a new one and prepating to do the job. Is it straight forward? I've read some posts about getting coolant all over the place, is this going to be a problem?
Any advice, much appreciated!
Thanks.
Daniel.

djc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 am

Hi Daniel,

I'll be in that area this weekend so I'll take a few photos.

I guess that changing the sensor should be relatively straight forward as long as you can get a socket or a spanner onto it and yes, be prepared to loose all the coolant in the radiator - probably best to remove one of the lower hoses and drain the rad in advance.

I've got a diagram of the radiator showing all the parts - if you PM me your email address I'll send it to you.

Cheers,

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 am

Hi,

Here's a link to the fan assembly diagram:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ygwXouH90FalJnMXBZU2dFNWM/view?usp=sharing

The coolant sensor is number 14.  Looks like there's a drain tap on hose 12 which you'd probably need to remove anyway to get access to the sensor.  Then disconnect the sensor wiring plug 9 and unbolt the sensor.

Hope this helps,

Dobbs.

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by djc Fri May 29, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Dobbs,

Thanks for that, very useful. "Looks like there's a drain tap on hose 12 which you'd probably need to remove anyway to get access to the sensor" - Does that mean i'm going to be draining the coolant then?

I'll take pics of the process and upload in case it can help others.

Cheers,

Daniel.

djc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobbs Fri May 29, 2015 10:59 am

Hi Daniel,

I'm guessing that as soon as you remove the sensor that coolant will gush out - I've not yet removed a sensor myself but it seems logical as the tip of the sensor needs to be in contact with the coolant in order to sense the temperature. You might be able to do a very quick swap and not loose much coolant.

Knowing how tight it is in the V5 engine bay, you may need to remove the coolant hose anyway to get to the sensor.

Feel free to remove the sensor without draining the system and let us know what happens Smile

Good luck and fingers crossed.

Dobbs.

PS - one thought would be to remove the sensor while the rad is still warm (but not too hot) - things are usually a bit easier to remove when warm...

Dobbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down